Saturday, December 19, 2009

Grüße aus Deutschland

Greetings from Germany!

I've been here for a bit over a week now. I arrived an exhausted mess on Thursday morning, the 10th. I was fairly ill the first few days I was here with a prolonged cold, so I barely left the house. I spent most of my days curled up on a chair with my book, eating well, and sleeping (or trying to). During my slow recovery, I've been for walks in the woods, shopping downtown, and I saw a Christmas concert at a local church.

It snowed yesterday! A lot! I've been inexplicably referring to snow as "snizz" and I can't stop. Please help.

It was lovely walking in the woods with the snow. So peaceful and quiet...until it got windy near the end. But the cool winter air feels lovely as I'm regaining health. I took a lot of pictures, but those aren't yet on my computer.

It's still slowly hitting me that the semester is done. I'm finished with DC. Who knows when I'll be back and who knows when I'll see some of my closest friends again. That's a weird thought. DC and those people were my LIFE for four months.

Side note: time is a weird thing, very relative. I told Oma that the decade is coming to a close, and that a decade ago, I was 10 and she was 70. She said "oh, that's it? Just ten years? That's nothing." I said "Oma, that's half my life." I'm reminded of this when she tells stories from "just the other day, not long ago" and then I find out it's from when I was 6.

So yeah, four months is kind of a long time for me, as a young'n.

I'm super excited to get back to Claremont. I miss my friends there so much. Caety and I skyped for two HOURS yesterday, which was awesome because we're in the same time zone so there was no trying to figure out when someone had to go to sleep or whatever. I've had two dreams in the last week about Claremont. Nothing special, just being back at Scripps in familiar territory and walking around campus, etc.

I fly home on Monday. I have two days left in Germany. It's currently -15º celcius (5ºF). The lowest it got in DC was close to 32ºF/0ºC. Claremont is currently 75ºF/23ºC, so it's easy to understand why I miss it.

I've got to start packing up all my stuff and making sure I can fit it all. Thank goodness I'm gonna take a duffel from Oma - no worries about trying to jam everything into the one black suitcase I have. (Which, by the way, ended up weighing 68 pounds from DC-Germany.)

Off I go.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for skyping! :) I love hearing about your walks in the woods in the snow. Haha, "snizz"? Please explain...

    And DUDE, I still can't over the fact that this decade is almost over. Another decade! Aahhh!

    Have a wonderful rest of your trip in Germany! <3

    ReplyDelete